The Sydenham Society was founded in 1972 and has around 1,100 members.
We are one of more than 350 civic societies in the UK. We are a member of Civic Voice, the national organisation representing civic and amenity societies.
Our aim is to be a voice for Sydenham and to make SE26 a better place to live and work. We strive to protect and improve services and amenities which impact on the local area. Our main areas of interest are Conservation & Planning, Transport and the Environment.
- Conservation & Planning: we are involved in looking at and commenting upon the latest local planning applications; we strive to help preserve conservation areas and we recommend new ones; we promote good urban design and aim to protect the built environment. We promote local history through our newsletter and by arranging talks and walks. Our Conservation & Planning committee meets every six weeks.
- Transport: we make comments to Lewisham Council, Transport for London (TfL) and Southern Railways on road and rail schemes; traffic management and highway maintenance; rail services and stations; bus stops and routes; parking and new provision for greener vehicles; flight paths and aircraft noise. We have a dedicated Roads & Transport Committee who meet regularly to discuss current issues and we talk directly with transport managers.
- Environment: we are committed to keeping Sydenham clean and green, working with the Friends of Parks groups (Home Park, Mayow Park & Wells Park), Lewisham’s Green Scene team, park contractors and local councillors. Together with the Forest Hill Society we have recently cleared rubbish from Albion Millennium Green, which had become very neglected. We attend the quarterly meetings of the town centre management group and regularly check that refuse is collected from commercial premises around Sydenham Road.
- Events: we run a series of events including visits, walks and talks throughout the year. We have a dedicated Events Committee who organise Quiz Nights and Club 26 outings to local restaurants. All members receive a fortnightly e-newsletter listing local events run by the Sydenham Society and other groups.
- Community: we work closely with local groups include the Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT), the Ward Panel, Residents Associations, Neighbourhood Watch groups and Voluntary Action Lewisham. We attend Sydenham Assembly and are represented on its coordinating committee.